Wednesday, September 19, 2018

50 Walt Whitman Quotes on Love and Life

Our latest collection of Walt Whitman quotes on Everyday Power Blog.

Walt Whitman was an American poet and journalist who’s considered one of America’s most influential and innovative poets.

His major, Leaves of Grass, which was first published in 1855 with his own money, is a landmark in the history of American literature. Fellow poet Ralph Waldo Emerson described it as “the most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom to come from an American pen.”

Born on May 31, 1819, in West Hills, New York, Whitman worked as an office boy, journalist, educator and government clerk besides publishing his poetry. In addition, Whitman was a volunteer nurse during the civil war.

Whitman continued expanding and revising Leaves of Grass until his passing on March 26, 1892. Though his work was considered controversial in its time, Whitman is still regarded as one of the greatest American poets.

Here are some beautiful quotes from the father of free verse that will inspire and motivate you.

 

Walt Whitman quotes on love and life

 

1.) “I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” – Walt Whitman

 

2.) “Re-examine all that you have been told… dismiss that which insults your soul.”  – Walt Whitman

 

3.) “Simplicity is the glory of expression.” – Walt Whitman

 

walt whitman quotes about expression

 

4.) “Happiness, not in another place but this place…not for another hour, but this hour.” ― Walt Whitman

 

5.) “Peace is always beautiful.” – Walt Whitman

 

6.) “Pointing to another world will never stop vice among us; shedding light over this world can alone help us.” – Walt Whitman

 

7.) “I am satisfied… I see, dance, laugh, sing.” – Walt Whitman

 

8.) ”The future is no more uncertain than the present.”  – Walt Whitman

 

9.) “Every hour of every day is an unspeakably perfect miracle.”  – Walt Whitman

 

10.) “All beauty comes from beautiful blood and a beautiful brain.”  – Walt Whitman

 

Walt Whitman quotes to inspire and motivate

 

11.) “I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best.” – Walt Whitman

 

12.) “Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes.” – Walt Whitman

 

13.) “Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.” ― Walt Whitman

 

14.) “To me, every hour of the day and night is an unspeakably perfect miracle.” – Walt Whitman

 

15.) “I exist as I am, that is enough.” – Walt Whitman

 

walt whitman quotes on what's enough

 

16.) “In the faces of men and women, I see God.” – Walt Whitman

 

17.) “Either define the moment or the moment will define you.” – Walt Whitman

 

18.) “Give me the splendid, silent sun with all his beams full-dazzling.” – Walt Whitman

 

19.) “Only themselves understand themselves and the like of themselves, As souls only understand souls.” – Walt Whitman

 

20.) “Whoever is not in his coffin and the dark grave, let him know he has enough.” ― Walt Whitman

 

Walt Whitman quotes to inspire you to live your best life

 

21.) “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.” ― Walt Whitman

 

22.) “Be curious, not judgmental.” – Walt Whitman

 

23.) “I swear to you, there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell.” – Walt Whitman

 

24.) “Do anything, but let it produce joy.” – Walt Whitman

 

walt whitman quotes on joy

 

25.) “If you done it, it ain’t bragging.” ― Walt Whitman

 

26.) ”If anything is sacred the human body is sacred.” – Walt Whitman

 

27.) “Nothing can happen more beautiful than death. ” ― Walt Whitman

 

28.) “The strongest and sweetest songs yet remain to be sung.” ― Walt Whitman

 

29.) “When one reaches out to help another he touches the face of God.” – Walt Whitman

 

30.) “I refuse putting from me the best that I am.” ― Walt Whitman

 

Thought-provoking Walt Whitman quotes that’ll expand your mind

 

31.) ”I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don’t believe I deserved my friends.” ― Walt Whitman

 

32.) ”Have you heard that it was good to gain the day? I also say it is good to fall, battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won.”― Walt Whitman

 

33.) “I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake.” – Walt Whitman

 

34.) ”Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?” ― Walt Whitman

 

35.) “There is no God any more divine than Yourself.” – Walt Whitman

 

36.) ”After you have exhausted what there is in business, politics, conviviality, and so on – have found that none of these finally satisfy, or permanently wear – what remains? Nature remains.” ― Walt Whitman

 

37.) “The road to wisdom is paved with excess. The mark of a true writer is their ability to mystify the familiar and familiarize the strange.” – Walt Whitman

 

38.) “To have great poets,  there must be great audiences.” ― Walt Whitman

 

walt whitman quotes on poets

 

39.) “I think I will do nothing for a long time but listen,
And accrue what I hear into myself…and let sound contribute toward me.” ― Walt Whitman

 

40.) “The truth is simple. If it was complicated, everyone would understand it.” – Walt Whitman

 

Other inspirational Walt Whitman quotes

 

41.) “Henceforth I ask not good fortune. I myself am good fortune.” – Walt Whitman

 

42.) “Judging from the main portions of the history of the world, so far, justice is always in jeopardy.” ― Walt Whitman

43.) “It makes such difference where you read” ― Walt Whitman

 

44.) “We were together. I forget the rest.” ― Walt Whitman

 

45.) “I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your bootsoles.” ― Walt Whitman

 

46.) “A blade of grass is the journeywork of the stars” ― Walt Whitman

 

walt whitman quotes about stars

 

47.) “In the confusion we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word.” –
Walt Whitman

 

48.) “The sum of all known value and respect, I add up in you, whoever you are.”  –Walt Whitman

 

49.) “I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least.” – Walt Whitman

 

50.) “To the real artist in humanity, what are called bad manners are often the most picturesque and significant of all. ” ― Walt Whitman

 

Which of these Walt Whitman quotes was your favorite?

Although his work received little attention at first and was deemed controversial in its time, Whitman is regarded as one of America’s most groundbreaking poets.

He was considered a symbol of American democracy and influenced many other scholars. To date, he continues to hold the attention of very different generations. Hopefully, these quotes have inspired you to think outside the box and to be the best version of you.

Did you enjoy these Walt Whitman quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below.

The post 50 Walt Whitman Quotes on Love and Life appeared first on Everyday Power Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment